- TalkTalk is making it easier for new and existing customers to benefit from the same deals.
- Vulnerable customers will automatically benefit from being on the best tariff.
- Latest commitments build on TalkTalk’s legacy in delivering fairer broadband, including being the first and one of only a few providers to guarantee no mid-contract broadband price rises.
19 September 2019 – TalkTalk has introduced four new commitments to help create a fairer telecoms market.
The plans unveiled today will ensure vulnerable customers can benefit from the best available deals and receive the most appropriate support to meet their needs. TalkTalk will also be making it easier for existing customers to access the same deals as new customers, while any price increases for those customers who choose to remain out-of-contract will be capped at the annual rate of inflation.
Today’s announcement is the latest demonstration of TalkTalk’s commitment to fairness and value. Since launching its range of Fixed Price Plans two years ago, 2.3m customers have benefited from a guarantee of no mid-contract broadband price increases. TalkTalk is also one of only a few providers that gets in touch with customers ahead of contract end, warning them that their bills are about to rise and proactively encouraging them to re-sign for cheaper deals.
The new commitments announced today include:
1. Fairer pricing for all new and existing customers
TalkTalk firmly believes that loyalty is best rewarded by offering great value deals to those who commit to staying with us. We are now reaffirming our commitment of treating both new and existing customers fairly.
From January 2020, it will be easier than ever for customers who wish to re-contract to access the same deals that are available for new customers.
2. The best tariff for vulnerable customers
TalkTalk is aware that some of its most vulnerable customers may find it difficult to take advantage of its best deals. We are therefore committed to switching vulnerable customers who are out-of-contract to a better deal.
We will carry out an annual review and offer the best tariff for their individual needs. Customers who don’t respond will be automatically moved to the new tariff after a three-month period.
3. Better support for our vulnerable customers
TalkTalk will strengthen its staff training and experience in identifying vulnerable customers. This will ensure that new customers are always aware of the help, support and services that are available.
We will also continue to work with consumer groups and charities as well as other industry sectors to better understand the needs of different groups of vulnerable customers.
4. Fair price increases
From October 2019, price increases for out-of-contract broadband customers will be capped at the annual rate of inflation.
Tristia Harrison, CEO of TalkTalk comments: “We’re proud to be launching our new fairness commitments that will ensure our customers are always put first.
“Since TalkTalk was launched at the turn of the millennium, we have consistently challenged the industry to be fairer and campaigned for positive change. We hope our new commitments will encourage other broadband providers to follow suit. It’s time for the industry to properly address unfair tariffs and up its game when it comes to the support available to the most vulnerable in society.”
- ENDS –
Creating a fairer telecoms market
TalkTalk has consistently challenged the industry to be fairer, introducing pro-consumer reforms or campaigning for positive change.
- We were the first and remain one of only a few major providers to guarantee no mid-contract broadband price rises across all products.
- We help customers avoid stealth price rises. We’re one of very few providers that proactively contacts customers ahead of contract end, warning them that their bills are about to rise and proactively encouraging them to re-sign for cheaper deals.
- We campaigned for Openreach reform, seeking a more competitive market, capable of delivering the investment and services consumers deserve.
- We also campaigned for simplified switching – only major fixed provider supporting Gaining Provider Led switching that helps vulnerable consumers access cheaper deals or better services.
- We also led the industry to create a safer, more secure online world. First ISP to introduce parental filter, giving parents control of what content is accessed on any device connected to home Wi-Fi. We also helped launch Internet Matters, the not-for-profit child safety organisation supporting parents keep their families safe online.